Thank you for visiting the web page of the Church of the Holy Cross, a parish in the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina under Bishop Mark Lawrence. We are a historic church in Stateburg, in the High Hills of Santee near Sumter, South Carolina. The church is located on land donated earlier by General Thomas Sumter, a resident of Stateburg, and its walls were constructed of rammed earth. Across the road from the church is Borough House Plantation, the home of Dr. William Wallace Anderson, chairman of the committee that built the church. In 1820, Dr. Anderson had built his own house of rammed earth on the plantation. With its additional rammed earth outbuildings, the plantation complex is also a National Historic Landmark. The church still has its original Erben pipe organ installed in 1851.
Current News: The vestry voted to remain in the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina and passed this resolution in January 2013.
Church of the Holy Cross – 335 N. Kings Hwy. Sumter, SC 29154